Manual handling is a common task in many workplaces in Warrington and across the UK. Whether you work in a warehouse, healthcare setting, construction site, or any other industry, the chances are that at some point, you’ll be required to lift, carry, push, pull or move objects manually. However, without proper training and techniques, manual handling can lead to serious injuries and long-term health problems.
According to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), manual handling injuries account for nearly a third of all workplace injuries in the UK. This is why it’s essential for employers to provide their employees with proper manual handling training. TL Training offers a comprehensive manual handling training course in Warrington that covers all aspects of safe lifting and handling techniques.
The Importance of Manual Handling Training
Manual handling injuries are one of the most common causes of workplace injuries, accounting for over a third of all workplace injuries. These injuries can range from minor strains and sprains to more serious injuries such as hernias, fractures, and even permanent disabilities. By providing your employees with proper manual handling training, you can reduce the risk of these injuries and create a safer working environment.
Manual handling involves the use of physical effort to lift, lower, push, pull, carry, or move objects. It may seem like a routine task, but improper techniques and lack of training can result in serious injuries, including sprains, strains, fractures, hernias, and even permanent disabilities. By providing your employees with proper manual handling training, you can reduce the risk of these injuries and create a safer working environment.
Why Manual Handling Training Is Essential
- Safety: The primary goal of manual handling training is to ensure the safety of employees. Learning the correct techniques for lifting and carrying objects reduces the risk of accidents and injuries.
- Legal Compliance: Employers have a legal obligation to provide a safe working environment for their employees. Failure to provide proper manual handling training can result in legal consequences. The Manual Handling Operations Regulations (1992) require employers to ensure that all employees are trained and competent in manual handling.
- Health Benefits: Training teaches individuals how to use their bodies efficiently, reducing the risk of developing musculoskeletal disorders (MSDs) over time.
- Increased Productivity: When employees know how to handle objects safely and efficiently, they can perform tasks more effectively, leading to increased productivity and reduced absenteeism. For employers, implementing safe lifting techniques can also result in reduced workers’ compensation claims and insurance costs.
Key Topics Covered
Understanding Manual Handling:
- Definition of manual handling
- Legal and regulatory framework
- Identifying hazards and risks
- Risk reduction strategies
Safe Lifting Techniques:
- Proper lifting and carrying methods
- Techniques for minimizing strain
- Hands-on experience with real-world scenarios
- Application of safe manual handling practices
- Importance of ergonomic workstations
- Creating a safe working environment
- Recognising signs of overexertion and strain
- Strategies for preventing manual handling injuries
Regulations and Best Practices:
- Overview of relevant regulations and guidelines
- Implementing best practices in the workplace
TL Training understands that every workplace is different, and the manual handling tasks may vary from one industry to another. That’s why we offer customised training to meet the specific needs of each business.
Our instructors will work closely with employers to understand their workplace and tailor the training to address the specific manual handling risks and challenges their employees may face.
TL Training offers on-site training, which means our instructors will come to your workplace to deliver the course. This is a convenient option for businesses as it eliminates the need for employees to travel to a training center, saving time and money.
On-site training also allows the instructors to observe the employees in their actual working environment and provide personalised feedback and guidance.
Upon completion of the course, participants will receive a certificate of attendance, which is valid for three years. This certificate serves as proof that the employees have received proper manual handling training and can safely handle objects in the workplace.
Real-World Example of TL Training’s Manual Handling Course
One of TL Training’s clients, a manufacturing company in Warrington, was experiencing a high number of manual handling injuries among their employees. The company reached out to TL Training for help in reducing these injuries and improving workplace safety.
After conducting a thorough assessment of the company’s manual handling tasks, TL Training developed a customised training program for their employees. The training focused on safe lifting techniques, risk assessment, and the correct use of equipment and aids.
The company also opted for on-site training, which allowed the instructors to observe the employees in their actual working environment and provide personalised feedback.
The results were significant. The number of manual handling injuries decreased, and the employees reported feeling more confident and knowledgeable about safe manual handling practices. The company also saw an increase in efficiency and productivity as employees were able to handle objects more efficiently.
Who Should Attend the Manual Handling Course?
The manual handling course is suitable for anyone who is involved in manual handling tasks in the workplace. This includes employees who regularly lift, carry, push, pull, or lower objects, as well as managers and supervisors who are responsible for the safety of their employees.
Manual Handling Training In Warrington
Manual handling training is crucial for ensuring the safety of employees in the workplace and complying with regulations. TL Training’s manual handling course in Warrington provides businesses with the necessary skills and knowledge to prevent injuries and improve efficiency and productivity.
By investing in manual handling training, businesses can create a safer working environment for their employees and avoid costly fines and legal action. Contact TL Training today to schedule a manual handling course for your employees and take the first step towards a safer and more productive workplace.
Interested in undertaking one of our manual handling training courses in Warrington? Call us today on 0151 343 0588 to learn more. Alternatively, you can email us at [email protected] and a member of our team will get back to you as soon as possible.